Saturday, April 12, 2008

One Day at a Time


When I was a kid in junior high I had a friend named Laura and she used to have a mantra of sorts that stuck with me: "Day by day in every way I'm getting better and better". I don't think I had any real concept of how deeply that applied to my life at the time. Today it seems appropriate to my life.

I spoke with my sponsor first thing this morning, just to check in. That is one positive thing that has come from the recent events, I am in better touch with my support team. I got a great call the other night from my good friend Jeremy, who by the way is one of my oldest friends from Jr. High (actually he knows Laura, come to think of it). He read my post and called to check up with me. That feels good today, to have people around me who love me and care about me and how I'm doing.

Hubby is better. The crisis seems to have honestly passed, and he is now getting back into his routine which includes his medication. He is following doctor's orders. He is in touch with his support network (sponsor and others). He is going to meetings. He is working his program. And I am staying out of his stuff. That's one of the most challenging things about being married to another alcoholic/addict. I have to work my program and let him work his. And just like in the rooms, the way it works for me may not be the way it works for him. And there is no "right way". We of course from time to time fall into that space of attempting to give each other too much "helpful" advice which borders on sponsorship or just plain feels like "your telling me what to do", and as drunks we know what kind of reaction that produces! Resistance in the third degree! :) I have to practice these principals in all of my affairs, and especially in my marriage. It just works best this way. I have to own my stuff, keep my side of the street clean, and work from there.

And as always when I find myself in tight spots, I have to remember to go back to basics: One Day at a Time, Easy Does It, Think Think Think, Let Go and Let God. The simple things (not really) that I learned when I first came around to AA and was getting sober. That sometimes my definition of success needs to be trimmed down to just not picking up a drink or drug or subsitute, making the next right choice, and asking for help to get through one day. When I make a mistake (which I frequently do since I'm a drunk and I always think I'm right and know it all), I apologize. I have to remember H.A.L.T (Hungry, Angry, Lonely and Tired) and Keep It Simple.

Today I'm enjoying a good cup of coffee, I am surrounded by my children and my husband and they are peacefully wantching PBS Kids behind me while we have a lazy few minutes on this Saturday morning. If this is as good as it gets, I think that will be o.k. with me! I am at peace right now and I am grateful.

No comments: